At Remitly, we help immigrant communities around the world send over $6 billion a year to their loved ones. Sending money is faster, easier, and costs less with our all-digital money transfer platform. We want to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial service products on the planet. At Remitly, your work has a direct and positive impact on people around the globe. Your work matters, every day.
As a Principal SDE at Remitly, you will report to the Director of the Remitly Platform Team. You will solve large technical challenges, balance short-term delivery with long-term scalability, reliability, and maintainability. You’ll be an essential voice in engineering leadership. You will shape and promote our long-term technical vision. As a senior member of our engineering staff, you should reflect a growth and improvement mindset. Most of all, you should care about our customers and view great engineering as an avenue to reliably provide customer value.
You’ll focus on the most technical challenges facing the company. Some current examples of those include:
- Modernize our core money transfer orchestration system, increasing its adaptability, observability, and reliability.
- Lead the decoupling and migration of legacy, monolithic systems to domain-based and portable microservices.
- Design a flexible, rules-based messaging system, providing self-service management of customer notification scenarios.
- You’ll lead the technical design of complex projects that involve multiple teams and systems across Remitly.
- You’ll deliver code underlying major aspects of our primary systems.
- Your designs and implementations will be robust and resilient, present strong performance characteristics, and include appropriate guardrails for junior engineers.
- You’ll anticipate technical challenges within the team and improve architectural changes to address them.
- You’ll partner with engineering management on shaping a long-term technical vision and roadmap for our backend systems.
- You’ll be a leader of engineering best practices across the company, influencing developers across the company.
- You'll mentor more junior engineers, helping them grow and improve their careers.
- A BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
- 8+ years of experience as a software developer.
- Substantial experience building scalable, robust services and distributed systems.
- Experience creating and driving technical designs and processes across a team.
- Experience with shipping features and products to customers.
- An understanding of database fundamentals and expertise working with one or more database technologies.
- Expertise in one or more general purpose programming languages like Java or Go.
- Experienced mentor for other engineers.
Who we are
- Unlimited vacation policy.
- Health, dental and vision insurance benefits.
- Company contributes to your HSA plan if you choose one.
- 401k plan with company matching.
- Free snacks, hot and cold beverages.
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals looking for employment at Remitly are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Remitly is an eVerify Employer.