Lookout is the leader in mobile security, protecting the device at the intersection of the personal you and the professional you. Our mission is to secure and empower our digital future in a privacy-focused world where mobile devices are essential to all we do for work and play. We’re trusted by millions of consumers, enterprises, government agencies, and partners such as AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Headquartered in San Francisco, Lookout has offices in Amsterdam, Boston, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington, D.C.
Lookout is a modern startup for the modern world, run by apps! As part of the Lookout engineering team, you will have an opportunity to take on some of the most interesting challenges in one or more core areas of intellectual property and fundamental building blocks that form Lookout’s category-defining Personal and Enterprise products. In order to tackle these challenging problems, you must be open-minded to explore new areas as well as evolve key existing systems, such as high scale cloud systems, mobile platforms(iOS/Android) development, detection engines, analysis systems cloud backend micro-services, front-end/UI, Data Engineering, Machine Learning, Threat research and CI/CD. If you enjoy building cutting edge products leveraging the latest technologies, tools and development methodologies, and want to make an immediate impact through your work, come check us out.
As a Software Engineer on the Security Intelligence team, you will contribute broadly to the detection engines, analysis systems, and other core intellectual property at Lookout. This position is an opportunity to take on some of the most interesting challenges in the company and join the team that provides the fundamental technological building blocks of the Security Platform that underlies Lookout’s category-defining personal and enterprise products. These are challenging problems and you must be open-minded to tackling new exploratory areas as well as evolving and continually improving key existing systems.
We're looking for Senior Engineers who have experience building, monitoring, and maintaining high-volume, low-latency distributed SaaS solutions. We believe in agile software development, metrics, short feedback loops, well-designed APIs, test-driven development, automation wherever possible, and all sorts of other things to make sure we can minimize friction and focus on solving the big problems. You will be a member of the team that is responsible for a massively scalable platform that acquires and analyses domains/web content for the purpose of classification and delivers data sets to internal and user-facing applications.
What you’ll do:
- Develop elegant, scalable, robust, and maintainable code for best-in-class security services, using Java, and/or Scala.
- Work closely with our Security Research teams to develop the tools that support our most critical research initiatives and content development workflows.
- Resolve bugs and conduct code fixes
- Conduct design and code reviews
- Lead by example, demonstrating software craftsmanship and best practices
- Strong development background in Java and/or Scala.
- Experience in developing, planning, and executing RESTful web services and/or stream message processing systems.
- Experience working with SQL DBs (MySQL, Postgres) in the context of web services, with a big plus for candidates who also have NoSQL DB experience (Bigtable, Redis)
- 5+ years of overall development experience in designing/implementing large-scale, distributed. production class software on public cloud platforms such as AWS and GCP.
- Discipline for testing and automation - unit, functional, integration, and other forms of automated testing
- Collaborative attitude, with an interest in growing a strong engineering team and culture: everything from hiring great people, to mentoring junior engineers, to fine-tuning process as necessary
- Stellar communication skills, able to work well with a smart, passionate, and growing team
- Experience with DevOps tools
- Experience with AWS primitives such as Redis, NLB, DynamoDB, Arora and SWF.
- Experience with GCP primitives such as BigTable, BigQuery is a plus.
- Experience with building secure systems
- Fault tolerance and self-healing systems
- Open-source contributions and participation