As a Principal SDE at Remitly, you will report to the Director of the Remitly Platform Team. You will solve large technical challenges, balance short-term delivery with long-term scalability, reliability, and maintainability. You’ll be an essential voice in engineering leadership. You will shape and promote our long-term technical vision. As a senior member of our engineering staff, you should reflect a growth and improvement mindset. Most of all, you should care about our customers and view great engineering as an avenue to reliably provide customer value.
You’ll focus on the most technical challenges facing the company. Some current examples of those include:
- Modernize our core money transfer orchestration system, increasing its adaptability, observability, and reliability.
- Lead the decoupling and migration of legacy, monolithic systems to domain-based and portable microservices.
- Design a flexible, rules-based messaging system, providing self-service management of customer notification scenarios.
- You’ll lead the technical design of complex projects that involve multiple teams and systems across Remitly.
- You’ll provide code underlying major aspects of our primary systems.
- Your designs and implementations will be robust and and include appropriate guardrails for junior engineers.
- You’ll anticipate technical challenges within the team and improve architectural changes to address them.
- You’ll partner with engineering management on shaping a long-term technical vision and roadmap for our backend systems.
- You’ll be a leader of engineering best practices across the company, mentoring developers across the company.
- You'll mentor more junior engineers, helping them grow and improve their careers.
- A BS (MS preferred) in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
- 8+ years of experience as a software developer.
- Substantial experience building robust services and distributed systems.
- Experience creating and driving technical designs and processes across a team.
- Experience with shipping features and products to customers.
- An understanding of database fundamentals and expertise working with one or more database technologies.
- Expertise in one or more general purpose programming languages like Java or Go.
- Experienced mentor for other engineers.
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Remitly. We are committed to nondiscrimination across our global organization and in all of our business operations. Employment is determined based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identification and expression, marital status, military status or status as an honorably discharge/veteran, pregnancy (including a woman’s potential to get pregnant, pregnancy-related conditions, and childbearing), sexual orientation, age (40 and over), national origin, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, physical, mental, or sensory disability (including the use of a trained dog guide or service animal), HIV/AIDS or hepatitis C status, genetic information, status as an actual or perceived victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other protected class as established by law.
Remitly is an E-Verify Employer