Lookout is the leader in mobile security, protecting the device at the intersection of the personal you and the professional you. Our mission is to secure and empower our digital future in a privacy-focused world where mobile devices are essential to all we do for work and play. We are trusted by millions of consumers, enterprises, government agencies, and partners such as AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Headquartered in San Francisco, Lookout has offices in Amsterdam, Boston, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington, D.C.
The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team partners with business leaders throughout Lookout to drive financial and strategic decisions. We provide analysis and conduct financial reviews of a wide range of business issues and manage financial processes such as planning, forecasting, reporting and tracking performance. We provide thought leadership in financial, compliance, and operations areas.
The FP&A Manager partners with our Executive Staff leading their respective Research & Development, Sales and Marketing, General & Administrative departments to continue driving the organization towards financial and strategic excellence.
In this individual contributor role, you are expected to be the finance business partner to the VPs and their teams. This includes coordinating various planning cycles, tracking expense performance, developing and improving forecasts, understanding the commission plan and calculating the accrual, scrutinizing procurement practices, and ensuring policy compliance. These services are provided with a high degree of professionalism, accuracy, and efficiency.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Lead the annual (and if needed semi-annual) expense budget process. Responsible for maintaining Vena with all expense plan updates. Work with Functional Heads and Team Leads to create a plan that is realistic and meets company financial goals while understanding their priorities, issues, and objectives. Raise any concerns and issues with finance management. Communicate final expense models to stakeholders.
- Lead the monthly expense forecast and actuals process. Continuously update the current Vena forecast scenario as information comes in. At month end, accrue for expenses delivered or utilized, but not yet invoiced and ensure reasonableness of actuals compared to forecast. After close, timely review financial results with Functional Heads and Marketing Team Leads, resolving any issues and getting any needed updates to the forecast. Maintain any financial trackers needed outside of the Vena tool. Achieve a high degree of forecast accuracy.
- Ensure that various policies are being complied with including the Purchase Order Policy and Procedures, Vendor Management Procedures, and Corporate Card Procedures. Review contracts for compliance with legal and financial requirements.
- Assist the FP&A Director with planning of the Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statements.
- Review and approve all purchase requisitions on a timely basis, ensuring that they are being charged to the right department/account, have the correct payment method, are in the fiscal plan, have appropriate commercial terms and meet Lookout’s procurement policies. Ensure that all open POs are accurate, making updates to end dates and closing out POs where appropriate.
- Ensure that all hiring plans are within the current forecast. Confirm that start dates and amounts fit within the plan. Review any adjustments that need to be made that impact financials. Approve any contractors that are requisitioned through HR. Review all requisitions with recruiting staff at least twice a month to ensure alignment between Finance and HR.
- Understand the company commissions plan. Review payment files for accuracy. Calculate monthly commissions accrual based on plan knowledge and sales bookings information.
- Support any ad-hoc requests. This can include planning scenarios, expense calculators, detailed analysis of various expense areas to look for trends and opportunities for improvement and other relevant requests.
Desired skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree; Finance or Accounting preferred; Masters degree a plus
- 10+ years professional FP&A experience
- Experience at a SaaS company
- Steadfast business professional who can walk the line between being a partner to the business and being a financial steward of the company
- Superior problem-solving skills and ability to communicate effectively
- Must be detail oriented to ensure accuracy and quality of output
- Able to perform deep dives into the underlying assumptions and quantitative details of all analyses, as well as step back and make recommendations based on the insights you develop.
- Ability to step back and look at the big picture. Optimize processes by looking at what should be done, not what has always been done.