Owlet’s Future Labs team is looking for a product minded, entrepreneurial, and scrappy team member to investigate and validate new business opportunities. Your job is to help discover the next big thing at Owlet. At Future Labs We follow the Lean Startup Model. Meaning that we look at business ideas as inherently risky and unvalidated. We use the Business Model Canvas to highlight our assumptions and work to convert assumptions into validated facts. We aim to solve and document two kinds of risks: Market risk (ie “will they buy it?”) and technical risk. (ie “can we build it?”) Often this means getting out to meet with the customer, creating smoke and mirror tests, and creating technical analogues. Validating our assumptions will give us more confidence of how things will perform in real life and make new products more successful.
We have a handful of ideas that we want your help to go out and investigate. You will report to and work with Owlet’s Co-Founder and Chief Innovation Officer to validate the mechanics of the emerging business. You will document your research and present ideas to the Owlet Executive Team so that an idea can get budget and become a product line or an acquisition target within the business.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Business Development – Early stages of business development require the ability to constantly be answering questions that have never been answered before. You need to understand the mindset when discovering “zero to one” value as a part of a business opportunity.
- M&A – You have been through the process of evaluating and merging/acquiring companies or technologies.
- Subscription Services- Relevant experience creating subscription plans. Ideally for connected hardware companies.
- Product Management- You need to be able to think like a product manager. Understand how to do user testing so that “we build the right thing.”
- Understanding of market dynamics and general business – You understand that in order to be a successful business, a product needs to meet both user and business needs. You have an understanding of what business dynamics are important to make a product successful.
- Qualitative user interviewing skills – You are experienced and comfortable with talking to parents in their homes and be able to listen for insights and understand their needs. We believe great businesses are built around compelling solutions to user needs.
- Create and manage surveys – You understand how to quantitatively validate insights that often come from qualitative research.
- Writing and documentation – Your research will become the map by which an entire product/engineering team turns and idea into reality. Good documentation of enables teams to move quickly.
- Passionate - You are passionate about creating a high-performing organization that provides fulfilling and engaging opportunities to its employees and wins in the market.
- Adaptable – You possess the adaptability skills to succeed in a dynamic and ever-changing business environment.
- Evaluate new business opportunities
- Evaluate acquisition targets
- Evaluate new software and subscription opportunities
- Conduct user interviews
- Generate Surveys
- Validate business using the Business Model Canvas and lean startup methods
- Conduct smoke and mirror tests of business ideas
- Product feature research
- Technology research
- Market analysis via reports
- Business analysis for potential acquisition targets
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Flexible schedules
- Paid holidays
- Product discounts
- 401(k) program with company match
- Eligible for company-sponsored benefits package 1st day of the month, following your hire date
Owlet Baby Care, Inc. is the equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.