The ideal Globys DevDataOps Engineer is a self-starter who works well on engineering teams and has good communication skills, a passion for technology and the ability to see others’ perspective. You also have a strong background in SQL Server with experience maintaining and administering very-large databases (VLDB’s) in a production setting. You will be part of a small-but-dedicated team of data experts whose duties span operations and development.
The role will encompass a variety of database development and data operations tasks:
- Be responsible for administering production databases in SQL Server spanning up to terabytes in size
- Maintain regular database backups and perform database restores as needed.
- Support the enterprise’s disaster recovery policies and practices.
- Develop and maintain monitoring of database high availability and performance, along with a variety of scheduled tasks.
- Support adherence to service level agreements.
- Control database access via database server accounts and roles.
- Perform regular database software upgrades.
- Participate in the 24/7 on-call rotation with the other DevDataOps Engineers.
- Deploy software releases and patches to the database layer.
- Manage the Globys data pipeline including client raw data transformation and the Core ETL.
- Provide high quality (tier-two and tier-three) Production support for Globys’ clients and internal project teams.
- Support Globys’ DevOps strategy and practices.
- Work closely with developers, test automation engineers and operations to support continous development and continuous delivery.
- Provide ongoing mentoring and technical support to Globys engineers with regard to the data layer.
- Develop miscellaneous reports for Senior Leadership, including adoption and usage metrics.
- Provide client-facing database support.
- Triage and diagnose production database issues, develop and test the solutions, manage the solutions in source control and verify the solutions in internal builds.
- Reverse engineer stored procedures and functions.
- Provide data-layer architectural recommendations to support product requirements.
- Participate in project estimations.
- Respond to requests to extract insights from large datasets.
- Participate in establishing a microservices plan with regard to data services.
- Set up integration and staging environments and provision databases for new projects.
- Assist in the automation of creation of database sandboxes for all engineering stakeholders.
- Develop a data obfuscation approach for the enterprise.
- Dynamically extract, transform and load data from one environment to others.
- 3+ years experience with SQL Server 2008 R2 and newer (2016 preferred)
- 3+ years experience maintaining and administering databases in a production setting
- A self-starting attitude and a strong desire to continuously learn
- A strong understanding of tSQL and query tuning experience
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities
Nice to Have Knowledge and Experience:
- An understanding of DevOps principles and practices
- PowerShell scripting
- SQL Server BI (SSIS/SSAS/SSRS)
- Windows Server 2016 or 2019 administration
- AWS and/or Azure
- Administering SQL Server on VMWare
- Oracle RDBMS
- Oracle GoldenGate replication