Lookout is an integrated endpoint-to-cloud cybersecurity company. Our mission is to secure and empower our digital future in a privacy-focused world where mobility and cloud are essential to all we do for work and play. With 100 million mobile sensors fueling a dataset of virtually all the mobile code in the world, the Lookout Security Cloud can identify connections that would otherwise go unseen -- predicting and stopping mobile attacks before they do harm. We enable consumers and employees to protect their data, and to securely stay connected without violating their privacy and trust. Lookout is trusted by millions of consumers, the largest enterprises and government agencies, and partners such as AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Headquartered in San Francisco, Lookout has offices in Amsterdam, Boston, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington, D.C.
Lookout’s backend system supports a massive volume of data and an increasingly high level of demand, from data ingestion to delivery to dynamic analysis. We’re looking for talented and motivated engineers to build core components and services, as well as to contribute to evolving the architecture. We’re a small team working on a very large, modern system with a user base of millions, so you’ll get to work on a cutting-edge product and service on a large scale. We’re responsible for building and maintaining several of the services powering the various Lookout applications. We build services in Ruby, Java and Scala, are hosted on AWS and firmly believe in using the cloud to our advantage.
Design, build and maintain backend services providing high-performance, high-availability APIs to frontend developers, mobile client teams, external partners. Although this role is focused on backend services, you'll also get to play with frontend code, client code and other cool services.
- Build extraordinary customer-focused web and mobile applications
- Create new services and extend existing ones in our large scale SOA architecture.
- Conduct unit, functional, and other forms of automated testing
- Help us meet aggressive performance and scalability goals keeping us ahead of dramatic growth in the space
- Help us define the Lookout user experience to continue to delight our users
- Excellent coding in Ruby (on or off Rails) and/or Java, Scala, OR an ability to learn/advance rapidly, easily transitioning between programming languages
- Experience implementing RESTful services with API's
- Strong object oriented design ability
- You're a quick and avid learner
- You’re a natural problem solver
- You get things done and like moving at a fast pace
- You’re an excellent communicator and are able to get your point across clearly and concisely, day to day among your teammates, as well as when writing code
- Skilled at troubleshooting – you appreciate the value of testing and can resolve the trickiest of issues, and take the initiative to pitch in and help as issues arise
- Significant experience operation production systems
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) experience
- DBA skills
- Experience in multiple programming languages (like Ruby, Python, Java, Scala) and frameworks
- BS degree in Computer Science or Engineering discipline