At Boundless, we’re breaking down the barriers of the immigration system for millions of families around the world. We are only able to achieve our mission of transforming this broken industry by building the team and organization that lets everyone do the best work of their lives. We are at an inflection point as a company, having recently acquired a business with offices in Las Vegas and the Philippines and raised a new round of financing to fuel growth, all while adapting to the unprecedented pressures of COVID-19.
With that in mind, we are looking to bring on a VP of People to guide our culture and implement a strategy to achieve our aggressive growth and hiring goals. The ideal candidate will have experience at both large, successful organizations (seen what an established HR org looks like) and smaller, fast-growing companies (seen when “just enough process” is appropriate at each stage). They are experts at finding creative win-win solutions for both the business and team members.
The VP of People is a critical leader, reporting to the CEO, who will establish our talent foundations as we grow from 150 to 270+ FTEs in 2021. Table stakes for the role are knowledge across HR fundamentals, recruiting, talent management, development, compliance, and everything covered by that jack-of-trades role leading HR at an early-stage company. What will truly matter is your ability to create and implement an end-to-end people strategy, and build a culture where employees are excited, productive, and passionate about working at Boundless. We’re looking for the rare person who can be strategic enough to thrive at the 30,000-foot view, developing the overarching strategy for the function, and humble enough to operate at the 3-foot level, putting initiatives into practice.
We can all agree this is an unprecedented time. This is a chance to make your mark in terms of how to creatively support our people and their families when many traditional levers are unavailable. How we adapt and embrace new challenges over the next year will define our success as a company.
During your first three months, you will:
- Learn about the Boundless team. Shadow the onboarding and day-to-day employee experience across roles and functions. Analyze employee survey results to understand challenges and opportunities. Build emotionally safe relationships across the team and become a trusted confidant.
- Develop OKRs for the people function. Identify the metrics and initiatives we need to achieve. Implement the most effective process to measure progress against the KPIs. Design the 1-year org structure and resourcing needs for the People function.
- Drive talent acquisition efforts. Partner with our internal recruiters, network of external recruiters, and hiring managers to create the right funnel and process to maintain a diverse workforce.
- Redesign onboarding for a hybrid in-office/remote workforce across multiple geographies and timezones. Build processes and tools to create connections to the organization and to each other while physical interactions are limited due to COVID-19.
- Assess the performance management process. Evaluate and improve our performance review process to successfully scale with us. Align managers around the “why’s”, our strategy as an organization, and “how” to put it into effect. Coach managers to address current performance management issues.
- Block and tackle. Roll up your sleeves and get in the trenches with our HR generalists and recruiters in the US and the Philippines, as necessary, on transactional HR work (e.g., onboarding, HRIS data management, interpretation of HR policies and procedures).
Within the first year, you will:
- Set the learning and development foundation. Build out levels and career development plans across the organization. Train and guide managers and leaders in supporting career progressions within their teams.
- Articulate and operationalize the total rewards philosophy. Develop and manage an equitable compensation and benefits philosophy across all geographies and functions.
- Enhance executive team dynamics. Coach and guide leadership team to function more effectively as a unit.
- Solidify the Boundless values and principles. Guide the organization through a values refresh and development process, and embed those values into our hiring, performance management, and daily decision-making.
- Steward the Boundless culture. Culture is one of the most amorphous and important factors to how an organization performs. Understand and define what effective culture means for us – how we sustain meaningful connections, how to create psychological safety, how to set and manage high expectations, and other elements that will serve as our backbone for years to come.