Lookout is a cybersecurity company for the post-perimeter, cloud-first, mobile-first world. Powered by the largest dataset of mobile code in existence, the Lookout Security Cloud provides visibility into the entire spectrum of mobile risk. Lookout is trusted by hundreds of millions of individual users, enterprises and government agencies and partners such as AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Apple and others. Headquartered in San Francisco, Lookout has offices in Amsterdam, Boston, India, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington, D.C. To learn more, visit www.lookout.com and follow Lookout on its blog, LinkedIn, and Twitter
Lookout is a modern startup for the modern world, run by apps! As part of Lookout’s engineering team, you will have an opportunity to take on some of the most interesting challenges in one or more core areas of intellectual property and fundamental building blocks that form Lookout’s category-defining Personal and Enterprise products. In order to tackle these challenging problems, you must be open-minded to explore new areas as well as evolve key existing systems, such as high scale cloud systems, mobile platforms(iOS/Android) development, detection engines, analysis systems cloud backend micro-services, front-end/UI, Data Engineering, Machine Learning, Threat research and CI/CD. If you enjoy building cutting edge products leveraging the latest technologies, tools and development methodologies, and want to make an immediate impact through your work, come check us out.
Lookout’s backend system supports a massive volume of data and an increasingly high level of demand, from data ingestion to delivery to dynamic analysis. We’re looking for talented and motivated engineers to build core components and services, as well as to contribute to evolving the architecture. We’re a small team working on a very large, modern system with a user base of millions, so you’ll get to work on a cutting-edge product and service on a large scale. We’re responsible for building and maintaining several of the services powering the various Lookout applications. We build services in Ruby & Scala, are hosted on AWS and firmly believe in using the cloud to our advantage.
Design, build and maintain new backend services providing high-performance, high-availability APIs to frontend developers, mobile client teams, external partners. Although this role is focused on backend services, you'll also get to play with frontend code, client code and other cool services.
- Create new services and extend existing services in our large scale microservices and SOA architecture.
- Build extraordinary customer-focused web applications
- Conduct unit, functional, integration, and other forms of automated testing
- Help us meet aggressive performance and scalability goals keeping us ahead of dramatic growth in the space
- Fully participate in the ownership of your services and components, including on-call duties
- Create documentation to enable self service
- Internal customer outreach, advocacy, and support
- Excellent coding in Scala and Java, OR a demonstrated ability to learn/advance rapidly in programming languages and environments
- Experience implementing RESTful services with APIs in massively scalable cloud environment
- Strong object oriented design ability
- You're a quick and avid learner
- You’re a natural problem solver
- You get things done and like moving at a fast pace
- You’re an excellent communicator and are able to get your point across clearly and concisely, day to day among your teammates, as well as when writing code
- Skilled at troubleshooting – you appreciate the value of testing and can resolve the trickiest of issues, and take the initiative to pitch in and help as issues arise
- Significant experience with operating production systems and being on on-call rotation
- Experience designing, building and operating large-scale distributed systems in AWS
- Experience working on Agile teams
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- 5+ years of experience with engineering degree in Computer Science or related field/degree
- Experience working with Git, Jenkins, Jira,
- Experience working with containers amd AWS deployment pipelines
- Experience with any of the following technologies:
- Functional Design patterns
- Kafka (or other message bus or distributed log infrastructure)
- Exposure to NoSQL and/or SQL databases