Lookout is an integrated endpoint-to-cloud security company. Our mission is to secure and empower our digital future in a privacy-focused world where mobility and cloud are essential to all we do for work and play. We enable consumers and employees to protect their data, and to securely stay connected without violating their privacy and trust. Lookout is trusted by millions of consumers, the largest enterprises and government agencies, and partners such as AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Google, and Apple. Headquartered in San Francisco, Lookout has offices in Amsterdam, Boston, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Toronto and Washington, D.C.
The Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team partners with business leaders throughout Lookout to drive financial and strategic decisions. We provide analysis and conduct financial reviews of a wide range of business issues and manage financial processes such as planning, forecasting, reporting and tracking performance. We provide thought leadership in financial, compliance, and operations areas.
The Finance Manager partners with our Executive Staff leading their respective Sales, Marketing and Customer Success teams and selected General & Administrative departments to continue driving the organization towards financial and strategic excellence.
In this individual contributor role you are expected to be the finance business partner to the VPs and their teams. This includes coordinating various planning cycles, tracking expense performance, developing and improving forecasts, understanding the commission plan and its impacts, and providing guidance on finance and accounting matters. These services are provided with a high degree of professionalism, accuracy, and efficiency.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Partner with our Sales and Marketing leaders, as well as some of our G&A leaders. Provide financial guidance through well thought out reporting and analytics, financial modeling, driving investment scenario analytics and other consultative financial support. Examples of this include Sales Capacity Planning, Sales Productivity Analysis, Demand Funnel Analysis and Marketing ROI.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships and collaboration across leaders in Sales, Marketing, Customer Success and Finance, influencing leaders across the organization, collaborating with cross-functional teams to find solutions to challenges in a rapidly evolving environment.
- Prepare executive level presentations and present complex analytical findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Participate in the annual planning budget process. Responsible for maintaining Vena with all spending and headcount plan updates. Work with Functional Heads and Team Leads to create a plan that is realistic and meets company financial goals while understanding their priorities, issues, and objectives. Raise any concerns and issues with finance management. Communicate final expense models to stakeholders.
- Lead the monthly expense forecast and actuals process for your departments. Continuously update the current Vena forecast scenario as information comes in. At month end, coordinate with the Financial Analyst to ensure that expenses are accrued and any variances to forecast can be explained. After close, timely review financial results with Functional Heads and Marketing Team Leads, resolving any issues and getting any needed updates to the forecast. Maintain any financial trackers needed outside of the Vena tool. Achieve a high degree of forecast accuracy.
- Review and approve all purchase requisitions on a timely basis, ensuring that they are being charged to the right department/account, have the correct payment method, and are in the fiscal plan. Ensure that all open POs are accurate, making updates to end dates and closing out POs where appropriate.
- Ensure that all hiring plans are within the current forecast. Confirm that start dates and amounts fit within the plan. Review any adjustments that need to be made that impact financials. Approve any contractors that are requisitioned through HR. Review all requisitions with recruiting staff at least twice a month to ensure alignment between Finance and HR.
- Understand the company commissions plan. Review payment files for accuracy. Calculate monthly commissions accrual based on plan knowledge and sales bookings information. Perform analysis of sales attainment, including benchmarking of similar companies.
- Support any ad-hoc requests. This can include planning scenarios, expense calculators, detailed analysis of various expense areas to look for trends and opportunities for improvement and other relevant requests.
Desired skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree; Finance or Accounting preferred; Masters degree a plus
- 10+ years professional FP&A experience
- Experience at a SaaS company
- Sales and Marketing business partner experience
- Steadfast business professional who can walk the line between being a partner to the business and being a financial steward of the company
- Superior problem-solving skills and ability to communicate effectively
- Must be detail oriented to ensure accuracy and quality of output
- Able to perform deep dives into the underlying assumptions and quantitative details of all analyses, as well as step back and make recommendations based on the insights you develop.
- Ability to step back and look at the big picture. Optimize processes by looking at what should be done, not what has always been done.