We’re a team of immigrants and experts who have struggled with our own journeys through the complex, high-stakes U.S. immigration system. That is why we are building deeply customer-centric products and experiences to become the default trusted partner for all families through their entire immigration journey and their first ten years of life in a new country.
In 2020, Boundless acquired RapidVisa to become the largest player in the family immigration industry, helping tens of thousands of families every year achieve their dreams. After four years of policy headwinds, we are at an inflection point, projecting to grow 3-4x every year through the Biden administration and become the first brand in an industry that has never had one before.
We're backed by influential early-stage venture investors around the country, including Foundry Group (led by Brad Feld), Pioneer Square Labs, Two Sigma Ventures, Trilogy Equity Partners, and are well-capitalized for our upcoming growth.
As we scale rapidly from about 150 FTEs to 300+ over the next 12 months and triple our revenues through expanding our product portfolio, we are looking for an experienced executive who can scale and shape our Product Management and Design function for years to come. You will report directly to the CEO and partner with our engineering, sales, marketing, and operations teams to shepherd in this next era of product-led growth. The product team is currently 9 FTEs (6 PMs, 3 UX Designers), growing to 20+ over the next year.
You will own translating insights from other teams, customer conversations, and diving into data to set the product vision and long-term roadmap, delivering $100M in revenues in two years. Immigration is an emotional, high-stakes process, so a deep understanding of design-thinking and customer research will be important in addition to tech product management effectiveness. This role will be responsible for maintaining the organization's focus and execution ensuring delivery of the most critical of those opportunities. What’s exciting is that there is no shortage of work to do or opportunities to go after. What’s challenging is how to keep a high degree of focus while increasing scope and complexity, without creating a 1+1=1.5 situation as we grow.
During your first three months, you will:
- Learn. Understand the way our Engineering, PM, Design, and Business teams operate through strike teams, sprint planning, while identifying where we excel and struggle. Work with our Customer Operations and Design teams to understand our customers’ needs. Establish customer research as an ongoing discipline at the company.
- Build the team. Partner with our internal and external recruiters and tap into your existing network to quickly increase the size and diversity of our PM and Design teams.
- Develop OKRs for the product function. Identify the metrics and initiatives that tie multiple functions across the company together to feel invested in a common set of goals. Establish reporting and analytics cadences for all product efforts and experiments.
- Block and tackle. Roll up your sleeves and get in the trenches with our product teams to unblock or drive critical projects. Establish understanding and working cadence with the Engineering team. Ask questions such as “are we building what matters?”
Within the first year, you will:
- Continuously improve our product process at scale. Create and instill the plan so that we can handle multiple major projects simultaneously. Maintain a strong, cohesive, and collaborative culture across product, design, engineering, and business teams. Regularly evaluate what’s working and continually experiment and improve.
- Successfully build a unified product platform. Complete integration of the recent acquisition by unifying both (and future) brands into a single tech stack and product platform that can flex into future acquisitions.
- Launch new product lines. Work with our Sales, Marketing, and Operations teams to build out the next set of products and services for our immigrant families, including applications (e.g. DACA, TPS, B2B products), services (e.g. subscription services, financial services), and geographies. Develop a process to quickly validate new product ideas, and invest in the winners. Leverage an unparalleled understanding of our customers and drive the long-term revenues and profits of the business.
- Develop a talented and inclusive team. Define and hire towards a product organization chart that can support a $100M+ business. Train and guide managers, set up mentorship programs, and uplevel the team as we grow.
- Publicize the product function inside and outside of Boundless. Ensure the entire company understands the vision and direction for the product. Become the public face of how products are built at Boundless as a model for the industry as a whole.
- Steward the Boundless culture. Culture is one of the most amorphous and important factors to how an organization performs. Understand and define what effective product culture means for us—how we sustain meaningful connections in a remote world, how to create psychological safety, how to set and manage high expectations, and other elements that will serve as our backbone for years to come.
Who you are
This is the chance for you to take everything you’ve learned from your past organizations and make your own mark as you build out this function at a mission-driven startup that is about to take off. Your effectiveness will be critical to the overall success of the company and helping the lives of millions of immigrant families.
Here are some general guiding principles around who we’re looking for:
- Successful track record recruiting, leading, and developing PM and UX managers and ICs to ship high-impact products; someone who others gravitate towards wanting to work for.
- Appreciates the craft of Product. Constantly learning about advancements in the field and comfortable getting into the details to try them out. Able to critique precisely when an experience isn’t good enough and explain why it didn’t meet the bar.
- Customer obsessed. Stretches the company to envision what a “10-star customer experience” is like and what it’ll take to get there.
- Loves data and synthesizing insights to drive decision-making. Research, dashboards, metrics, and goals are set well before any code is written. Establishes clear tenets around when to ship fast vs. when to wait.
- Naturally becomes the thought-partner for leaders in other functions. Engineering leaders view you as their best friend because you help focus their teams on building things that matter. Business leaders view you as their best friend because you solve their problems with solutions.
- Crisp written and verbal communication for external (e.g. Board, investors, product community) and internal (e.g. prioritization, brainstorming, alignment) audiences. Everyone feels better and more confident after hearing from you.