As a Boundless Senior Test Engineer, you will collaborate with engineers, product managers, and other stakeholders to ensure that our products and services perform as designed and meet standards and requirements for functionality, reliability, availability, data-accuracy, performance, user experience, and security. You will have a wide range of test-related duties including performing or coordinating manual testing, writing automated tests, specifying, deploying, and managing automated testing frameworks and tooling. You will collaborate with and mentor other other engineers to make them more effective testers.
Boundless test engineers are not just responsible for determining reliability at the end of the process – they participate in projects right from the beginning to ensure that reliability and testability are part of the design. They also drive continuous improvement of products and testing infrastructure, leveraging start-of-the-art automation tools and methodologies.
During your first month in this role, you will:
- Learn about the Boundless platform. You will work with Boundless engineers and product managers to become intimately familiar with the Boundless platform. You will do this by learning about immigration and how we help immigrants, understanding how internal and external customers use our system, studying the code base, performing ad-hoc / exploratory tests, taking on small automated testing tasks, sitting in on daily stand-ups and other meetings, and getting to know the Boundless team.
- Learn about how Boundless does testing. You will work with Boundless engineers to understand how they currently do unit, integration, and system testing. You will understand the tools, frameworks, methodologies, current level of coverage, and known testing debt.
- Discover our process, practices, and career map. Throughout your first month you will learn about our practices and process; the way we plan our work, retrospectives, release infrastructure, etc. and you will work closely with your manager to learn about how we think about career development at Boundless.
Within three months, you will:
- Function as the lead test engineer for Boundless. As our first full-time test engineer, you will own the Boundless testing platform, defining, refining, and implementing our testing tooling, framework, and process. You will also be responsible for working with our engineering teams to make them more effective testers to increase our confidence in our code through more complete and effective testing.
- Own system and integration testing. You will define the framework, tooling, and process for Boundless system and integration testing, implement tests, and work with others to implement tests.
- Assist with unit testing. You will help our engineering teams to improve unit testing by recommending framework, tooling, process, and methodology refinements. You will pair with our engineers to learn from them for them to learn from you.
- Own test environments. You will work with our devops and engineering teams to create efficient and effective pre-production test environments, including data fixtures and simulating production conditions.
- Set personal development goals. You will work with your manager to come up with concrete personal development goals and a plan to reach them.
Within a year, you will:
- Lead in more advanced testing capabilities. You will expand our test capabilities beyond just functional testing, including load/performance, data-integrity, security, UX consistency, static code analysis, and code coverage analysis.
- Work with our teams build and continuously evolve our suite of automated integration and system tests
- Implement tooling and process to maintain test suites, pruning obsolete or less-useful tests to keep our system efficient
- Implement monitoring tests to ensure integrity of our production environment and alert us when things are amiss
- Senior software engineer with a particular passion for the art and science of test engineering and creating and using software to make sure that everything is working correctly
- At least 5 years of experience as a Test Engineer
- Demonstrated high proficiency and experience with full stack web development
- Fluency with web-application testing frameworks throughout the stack. Experience with Cypress and RSpec preferred.
- Experience and proficiency with load and performance testing frameworks
- Experience with third party e-commerce services, such as Stripe and Braintree
- Experience with third party analytics services, such as Google, Heap, AutoPilot, etc.
- Testing experience with Wordpress desired
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Proven skill and passion for collaborating, teaching, and making others' work better
- Self-motivated and able to work under minimal supervision
- Adaptable to changing requirements as the US immigration landscape changes