There are 2.7B deskless workers globally, and one-third work in agriculture.. Software tools built for white-collar workers just don’t work for agricultural workers who are often lower literacy, migrant, unbanked, and not accustomed to using email and apps. That’s where we come in.
Ganaz is the workforce management platform for the $1+ trillion North American agriculture and food manufacturing industry. We help create safer, fairer and more profitable workplaces while providing the financial services needed to help workers forge a path out of poverty. Our software currently helps employers onboard, train, communicate with, and retain their multilingual, deskless workforce. We will soon be launching paycards with integrated remittances, saving money for both workers and employers in this large and underserved market. We’re working with some of the largest and best brands in the industry, and our product offering and customer base is growing fast.
Our engineering team is looking to add a number of senior engineers as we expand our product offerings. Our tech stack: ReactJS, Redux, XState, TypeScript, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS (SQS, Lambda, DynamoDB, Step Functions, etc). As a senior engineer, you’ll turn product specs into implementation plans (detailing REST APIs, storage, security considerations, deployment details, operation, etc), write code your teammates understand (maintainable and tested), update build systems, manage deployments, and more. You’ll maintain existing systems, refactoring code to integrate with new systems, improve fault-tolerance, and add operational metrics.
What you’ll do
Within 1 month you will…
- Ship your first product improvement!
- Gain a basic understanding of our products from a customer perspective.
- Learn how our production systems connect with each other.
Within 3 months you will…
- Own implementation of a sizable product feature or improvement: collaborating with your teammates on the implementation spec and then building out the code.
- Be a regular contributor to code reviews in your team.
- Root-cause customer problems and propose/implement solutions.
- Collaborate with our product and design teams to improve UIs.
Within 6 months you will...
- Have a solid understanding of our overall system architecture.
- Build backend systems, processes, and APIs.
- Propose features/processes/tools to improve our overall team performance.
What you’ll bring:
To the job
- Think in terms of systems. Your strong attention to detail enables you to write robust, maintainable code which your coworkers understand. You leave code better than you found it. Writing tests as you develop is second nature to you. Your coworkers look to you for guidance.
- Empathize with users and anticipate difficulties with product designs whether practical or technical. You're an effective collaborator with non-technical colleagues.
- Have a point of view backed by experience and an ability to articulately discuss pros/cons of various approaches. You know how to keep your ego in check and commit once a decision has been made.
- Experience across the software development lifecycle including: design, code, deployment, and operation. You can jump in at any stage—if getting a product shipped means you pitch in to code a data import script, you're happy to do so.
To our mission and our company:
- Excitement at the prospect of serving an often overlooked workforce, creating products that have a positive impact on people’s lives.
- A strong sense of ownership that extends beyond individual tasks and drives you to learn, experiment, and seek solutions to problems. You are more comfortable with “what needs to be true to achieve that” than “that can’t be done.”
- A belief that all people deserve to be treated with empathy and respect.
- A track record of excellence, of encouraging yourself and others to always do better.
- 4+ years in a software development/engineering role
- 2+ years experience with a strongly-typed language
- Familiarity with NodeJS or similar
- Able to apply OOP techniques, such as SOLID
- Deep experience building back services exposed via REST APIs
- Hands-on experience building and operating distributed, fault tolerant, highly available systems
- Experience with SQL and relational databases; "noSQL" data stores; and public clouds such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- 3+ years in an engineering role at a payroll software company giving you a good insight into the details of payroll systems
- A good understanding of the legal requirements for payroll system data with hands-on experience building out security and compliance for that data
What else you’ll need to know:
Ganaz is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
At Ganaz, diversity is more than a nice-to-have; it’s a critical ingredient for our success. We welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Ganaz: Building technology to foster well-being and prosperity for industry, workers, and their communities.