As a Senior Industrial Design Manager at Owlet you will shape the future by designing products that help parents keep every baby safe and to delight and inspire people worldwide. You are a design leader who is passionate about improving people’s lives through design and technology.
You are proactive, creative, engaged, optimistic, progressive, open-minded and resourceful and you seek inspiration, empowerment, and challenge. you will participate in designing and developing innovative products from basic concepts to fully working design solutions, following the development of products through to production.
You will collaborate with researchers and product managers to understand user needs and implement user-centered design on a wide range of products.
You should have experience leading team members while developing new products, including medical devices, consumer electronics, or wellness. You will also collaborate with engineers in the conceptualization and development of new products with a sensitivity to design for manufacturing, assembly and create mechanical and technical specifications for manufacturing as necessary. This is an awesome opportunity to come help create forward-thinking innovative products!
- Lead team members to gather, analyze and synthesize user research and market data to define appropriate functionality and product requirements to drive future designs.
- Lead projects from start to finish and manage all issues that impact design. Lead designers to deliver design at a high quality that delights consumers.
- Lead design intent (leveraging the input of designers in the team) from concept through mass production with cross functional teams including: research, user-interface, software and hardware engineers, marketing, product management and external vendors
- Create sketches, 3D models, prototypes, and proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent, meet business goals and customer needs.
- Create compelling visual presentations and design stories showing solutions and context for both peers, top leadership, customers and verbally deliver in a convincing manner.
- Work closely with suppliers, manufacturing and engineering teams to see the industrial design through the development and production process ad validation
- Required to travel as needed to vendors (manufacturing facilities overseas, user research)
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial / Product design, or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of work experience in consumer product design
- 3+ years management experience
- Player coach mentality, must be able to contribute and design as well as lead a team
- Experience with designing and shipping consumer products. Experience in design (i.e., CMF, proportions, color, form, typography, presentation).
- Ability to present, communicate, and persuade
- A portfolio demonstrating your work
- Strong understanding of mechanical design, manufacturing and engineering requirements and constraints.
- Experience in product that includes hardware-software and user experience
- Strong understanding of technical soft goods and soft good construction and how it interacts with electronics
- Experience in consumer electronics and mobile industry
- Excellent in visualizing concepts using industry standard 2D and 3D tools such as: Photoshop/Illustrator, Solidworks, and Keyshot
- Passion for identifying problems and inventing solutions for the user
- Flex time scheduling
- Competitive compensation based on experience
- Benefits package
- Product discounts
Owlet Baby Care, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.