As Director of Engineering, you will build, manage, and organize Engineering teams, partnering with Product Managers to successfully execute initiatives that positively impact the lives of our customers and employees, grow our business, and help us fulfill our mission. You will be a servant leader in developing people and placing them in roles to maximize their potential in addition to guiding the work, tooling, process, and code. You will partner with the Vice President of Engineering and the People team to build and scale the Engineering organization. Your contributions will have a significant impact on the direction and success of the company as we help thousands of immigrants. The Director of Engineering will report to the Vice President of Engineering.
Within three months, you will:
- Learn by doing with your team and own team success. You will be assigned an initial team and will get to know them through 1:1 meetings and working together on projects. You will work side by side with our business leads, Product Managers, Product Designers, and Engineering Managers to learn our customers and codebase. You will work with each team member to ensure that expectations for their work are clear and that they are in a role with a career path that allows them to achieve their full potential. You will closely collaborate with Product Managers to define customer needs in a way that is actionable by Software Engineers and guide them in execution and delivery.
- Discover our process, practices, and career map. You will learn about our practices and processes — the way we plan our work, retrospectives, release infrastructure, etc. — and you will learn about how we approach career development at Boundless.
- Become an important member of our Engineering management team. You will work with Engineering Managers to coordinate work and share best practices to help all of our teams grow and improve. You will also mentor and share your experiences with the Engineering Managers to help them develop and grow.
- Curate a healthy culture. You will curate a healthy and inclusive Engineering culture within the overall company culture, ensuring that all team members have the opportunity to contribute and grow to their fullest.
- Manage the hiring and onboarding process for your team. You will work with the Vice President of Engineering and the People team to define needs for your organization and recruit, interview, hire, and onboard new team members to fill open roles. Your success in hiring will be defined by diversity, culture, and values as much as technical ability. You will ensure there is adequate training and mentoring for your Engineering Managers and help them grow as leaders.
- Gain a full understanding of all of our stakeholders. You will come to understand all of the stakeholders including customers and the overall immigrant community, business growth, operations, third-party partners, product, and Engineering. You will understand the challenges that immigrants face in their journey to live and work in the United States and how we can help them.
Within a year, you will:
- Broaden your work as an invaluable leader in enabling our Engineering organization to best serve our customers and business. You will:
- Manage the composition, organization, and work of Software Engineering teams to achieve both short-term and long-term sprint/iteration goals.
- Ensure your Engineering Managers are highly engaged and productive by organizing, inspiring, and empowering them and their teams to do their best work.
- Work with all stakeholders to ensure proper balance of meeting customer needs and maintaining a healthy product and ecosystem — this includes not only business-driven features but also internal needs such as analytics, security, testing, scaling, and technical-debt management.
- Establish and implement workflow practices and tooling (scrum board, kanban, etc.) to define new requirements, manage/groom backlog, schedule work, and deliver predictable results aligned with product strategy.
- Foster an Engineering-led process of evolution and improvement based on continuous learning and adapting to change.
- Make a broad positive impact on Engineering and the Company. Your teams will be part of a larger whole of Engineering that has created and curated a healthy growing culture where Engineers can do their best work in fulfilling our mission, growing our company, and building their careers.
- Build our external reputation and employment brand. You and the Engineering team will represent Boundless to the software-development community at large, helping to draw and develop great candidates (with particular emphasis on women, people of color, and immigrants) to our teams.
- Establish broad technical infrastructure, standards, and best practices. You will develop standards and best practices and exchange them with other teams within the broader Boundless technical ecosystem.
- A seasoned Software Engineering leader who has inspired technical teams to do their best work, and who has led teams that had a profound positive impact on customers, businesses, and employees by:
- Understanding the "Why" of their teams' work and connecting it to the problems they are solving.
- Thinking without Bounds to explore creative solutions while Striving to Simplify and leading your team in delivering the most impact from their work.
- Owning their work and being dependable partners by meeting commitments and delivering solutions.
- Adapting and Evolving the work of their team as they learn and as the business grows and changes.
- Keeping their teams Focused on Impact as their primary measure of success.
- Successful track record as an Engineering leader with a focus on Engineering operations, strategy, and culture.
- Experience in building and managing diverse Engineering teams that are designed to allow everyone to thrive regardless of gender, cultural background, etc.
- Experience successfully developing Engineering Managers including managing their roles, assignments, compensation, team structure, and performance.
- Demonstrated understanding and aptitude of web-based software development throughout the entire tech stack.
- Experience thinking strategically and acting tactically, leading technical projects and translating stakeholder requirements into actionable work completed by Engineers.
- Collaborates well with other business and function leaders and garners their respect with a demonstrated ability to build consensus towards a common goal.