Who Boundless is
We’re a team of immigrants and experts who have struggled with our own journeys through the complex, high-stakes U.S. immigration system. That is why we are building deeply customer-centric products and experiences to become the default trusted partner for all families through their entire immigration journey and their first ten years of life in a new country.
Since 2020, Boundless has become the largest player in the family immigration industry, helping tens of thousands of families every year achieve their dreams and becoming the first brand in an industry that has never had one before.
We're backed by influential early-stage venture investors around the country, including Foundry Group (led by Brad Feld), Emerson Collective (Laurene Powell Jobs’ foundation), Pioneer Square Labs, Two Sigma Ventures, Trilogy Equity Partners, and Jerry Yang, and are well-capitalized for years of growth.
Who you are
The Head of Engineering will have responsibility for the technology behind our products and services, as well as the people who build and maintain it. You will partner with the rest of the executive team (Product, Growth, Operations, People, Finance) to ensure that we are building the right products and services for our customers. You will be responsible for the vision of the engineering org—who to hire, how to develop the team, what kind of culture to build, how much tech debt is appropriate, how much integration with other teams—the list goes on.
You are energized, thrilled, and a little bit nervous to take everything you’ve learned from your previous experiences and put your stamp on an organization as we help millions of immigrant families. Reporting to the CEO, you will be a valuable member of the executive team and will represent the company in front of the board, partners, and the community.
Our current engineering team is 20 FTEs across four teams located across the U.S. and 6 in the Philippines. This position is remote and will involve travel to get together in-person regularly.
In this role you will
- Lead our engineering organization to best serve our customers and business by:
- Developing our engineering managers to then accelerate the development of our ICs.
- Working with stakeholders to ensure proper balance of customer needs, business needs, and infrastructure needs.
- Establishing the foundation of our data engineering, analytics, security, testing, scaling, and technical-debt management philosophy and initiatives.
- Ensuring each engineering team has the right workflow practices and tooling to define new requirements, manage their work, and deliver predictable results aligned with product strategy.
- Fostering an engineer-led process of evolution and improvement based on continuous learning.
- Lead Boundless technical strategic planning and direction by:
- Ensuring the Boundless tech-stack and platform meets today’s needs while planning and executing a roadmap for scale and long-term success.
- Ensuing our platform is secure, protecting the company’s and our customers’ data.
- Leading in evaluation of third-party technology for partnership or acquisition opportunities.
- Curate a team culture that aligns with our Boundless values. You will hire for and set expectations around a healthy, inclusive engineering culture that aligns with Boundless values, helping all team members find a deeper sense of purpose in their work.
- Lead our external reputation and tech employment brand. You and your leaders will represent the company to the software-development community at large, helping to draw and develop great candidates who represent the diversity of our customers.
What we’re looking for
- An experienced technology leader and manager of managers who has inspired technical organizations to do their best work, and who has led teams that have had a profound positive impact on customers, businesses, and employees by:
- Understanding the "why" of their teams' work, connecting it to the problems they are solving
- Thinking without bounds to explore creative solutions and then striving to simplify, to lead their teams in delivering the most impact from their work
- Adapting and evolving the work of their teams as they learn and as the business grows and changes
- Prior experience in scaling an engineering organization to 50+ FTEs.
- Deep experience and understanding of web-based software development and all levels of the stack including hosting, data, back end, front end, analytics, and use of third-party SaaS services.
- Proven experience successfully leading and developing a diverse, remote technical team, including managing recruiting, roles, assignments, career path, compensation, and performance. Someone talented engineers proactively seek to work for.
- Experience using technology to solve complex consumer problems.
- Passion for fixing the broken immigration system for millions of families.